Saturday, April 21, 2007

Dubai Photos

It's like simultaneously stepping backwards and forwards in time. Towering modern buildings live next door to shacks. Spending time on the bus gets you in touch with a dazzling combination of nationalities. I was determined to get photos of people in action - but found myself a bit nervous.

These two guys were just doing there thing outside the silk market. My American eyes can see and feel the stereotypes based on recent political goings on. But later I watched a gent just like this giving his son a nookie. Seem like regular old chaps after that.


The trading markets (souqs) have had a central place in everyday life since the beginning in Dubai. Life still goes on in much the same way now. Of course with the addition of intruding tourists with cameras.


Everywhere I've been I see this sign. Sad, but a fact of life. We went into a huge mall that had Appleby's, KFC, Starbucks, etc.. Take away the burqas, robes and head dress and you are in any mall in the US.


We only stay in the finest parts of town. So I get lots of these shots. These guys seemed to have a pretty hard life. Moving big stuff on carts. He is probably texting his friend, "Hey some American is taking my photo."