Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Birds.. lots of them

Birds??

A few months ago I'd have laughed if you had asked me to name one. But Australia is different from home (Colorado). The birds are the main players in the environment. Sure I've seen other wildlife - sharks, snakes, crocs and kangaroos. But the birds are everywhere, all the time. Go to work, eat lunch, sit on your porch and they will be there.

I have yet to go on a hike where I haven't discovered some new and amazing new species. In three months I've photographed over 70 species! Most shots are of a bird in a tree and quite boring. But these stand out as real keepers and I hope you agree!

Cape Barren Goose

This goose was bathing at Centennial Park in Randwick. The park is a good photo spot because birds are used to all the people milling about. Unfortunately for them the park is a bread crumb dump with sickly birds abounding due to the overcrowded conditions - they trade diseases amongst themselves.. please don't feed the wildlife!


Scarlet Robin

This tiny robin was patient enough to let me take this shot before flying off. This was taken in the Blue Mountains on the tail end of a backpacking trip on the six foot track.


Long Billed Corella

Another of the Centennial Park residents. Many of the Corellas gets a bit old and overweight because of the unhealthy and unnatural conditions. I love to see them there, but hate to see them sick.


Black Stilt

Olympic Park, site of the 2000 Olympics, has done a great job preserving natural marsh lands and has reclaimed a fair amount of mangrove swamps. They even provide a nice bird blind to watch the birds doing whatever it is they do.


Rainbow Lorikeet

The Rainbow Lorikeet is easily the most recognizable resident in the Sydney area. They thrive on the locally planted nectar producing trees. In Strathfield where I live they flock by the hundreds and raise quite a ruckus with their loud screeching.


Welcome Swallow

The tiny welcome swallows are lightning fast and don't sit still for long. A fair number of them live just outside of the Jenolan Caves in the Blue Mountains.


Australian Pelican

To see them on land you'd think they would never make it aloft. But to watch them effortlessly gliding along on open wings is enough to make a believer out of me. Oddly enough, they live throughout Australia wherever water is to be found. Which in dry Australia is somewhere just slightly west of the east coast..


Superb Fairy Wren

This is one of those birds that is everywhere, yet so small most people don't notice them. I've seen them in just about every park or track I've been on. But most would be hard pressed to identify one. Their blue streaks nearly flouresce in the sunlight.


Masked Lapwing

The aptly named and goofiest looking bird in Sydney, the Masked Lapwing is an odd character. They don't like to fly, preferring to root around in the grass for food. This photo was taken just outside my work. I'd seen the parents around for a few months and sure enough the little one showed up this Spring. I took this photo from the window of my car, birds don't seem to mind cars. The moment you step out they all fly off like you just stepped through some mysterious portal.


Red Rumped Parrot

Canberra (the capitol of Australia, and no I didn't know that before I came here either) is home to this beautiful parrot. My friend Wong snuck around to encourage the parrot to take flight so I could snap away from the other side. Not real 'eco-friendly', but the results speak for themselves.


Kookaburra

No bird photo collection from Australia would be complete without the Kookaburra. They laugh and carry on with the most amazing and memorable calls. The sound of the Kookaburra is a defining element of the Australian environment.


Little Pied Cormorant

The cormorant is one a family of water birds that do quite well in Australia. Chances are if water is around, they'll be there. So far I only find them as couples and generally not in flocks. This guy was hanging out at a pond near work.


Australian King Parrot

My friend Amanda's mom lives in a great spread where Parrots, Rosellas and Lyrebirds live. The tree leaf shape is suspect if you ask me...


Taronga Zoo


These next four photos are "cheating" because they were taken at a zoo. Never the less they are some of the most exciting shots I've taken. The Taronga zoo is a favorite of mine (next to the San Diego zoo) and has the most amazing 'bird show' that I've seen once or twice, or four. The following birds are native Aussies that I'd hope to someday see in the wild.


Black Kite



Rufous Owl

The gal in the shot is the host and bird handler at the show. The freaked out kid just let the bird fly off of his gloved hand.


Wedge Tailed Eagle




Black Breasted Buzzard

This striking creature has a natural instinct to crack open large eggs. Emu or Cassowary eggs can't be opened by a mere beak. So this bird has learned to open them by smashing a rock against it. It uses tools! I myself would probably use a band saw.


Galah

Anyone who has seen the bird show will appreciate this shot. The Galah flys to the hand of a member of the crowd and steals the gold coin from their outstretched hand. The Galah then returns to the handler. The bird later returns the coin after some jokes.. But this time the bird returned with a diamond ring and thoroughly shoked the girl when her (soon to be) fiance stood up and asked her to marry her. Good on you mate!