Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Aussie Photos

Australia - we've been here since November 2005. I'd say time flies but it really seems like a lifetime since we arrived. These photos represent most of what we've been doing - hiking and exploring. I'd show you photos of Sydney, but 27 photos of the Opera house doesn't do Australia justice.

Canberra

Canberra gets a lot of flack about it being sterile and over planned. This photo says it all. All the rumors are true. Designed by an architect from Chicago (blame the Americans), it has all the charm of a modern art museum. There are two restaurant areas and if you aren't near them, tough luck. The gas stations are hard to find which is strange because without a car you'd be SOL. The town is way too spread out and it takes leaps and bounds to get from one area to the next.


Floriade

Floriade, how exactly does one pronounce that? This is the annual Canberra flower festival and showcases the worlds best flower arrangements. Flowers battle for #1 in an all out extravaganza. Sunday Sunday SUNDAY! Stamins vs. Pistol, who will take the glory? You buy the whole seat but you only need the edge!


Waterfalls in the Blue Mountains

The Wentworth Falls area in the Blue Mountains are amazing. All the tourists flock to Katoomba to see the 3 Rocks, but Wentworth is far more interesting. The key word here is water - it never rains in Australia, so if it does run out to Wentworth to see the water fall..


Six Foot Track

Tara and I did an overnight backpacking trip on the Six Foot Track. This is a great track with a lot of features to explore. The bridge Tara is on is really dodgy and narrow. About halfway across you wish you had just hiked across the dried out river it crosses. Australia has all these bridges that go over dirt, I guess it'll rain here someday.


Rock and Tree

At our campsite we had a lot to explore. Tons of birds, cows and rocks. Wow, I lead an exciting life.


Cow Picks Nose with Tongue

At our campsite the cows were everywhere. Which meant the flies were everywhere too. I tried to scare off a mom and baby (veal?) and she stood her ground. I figure she'd win that fight. When I got back to civilization I had a hamburger to prove a point. I win.


Tree Reflection in Water

This is a tree reflected in water. Again - six foot track.


Crazy Barbed Wire Dress

Sydney is home to a great number of museums and I love them all. There are also a ton of them in Canberra, but they are all in Canberra (figure that one out). I'd post all my maritime museum photos but then you'd all fall asleep. If you come out to Sydney I'll drag you to the maritime museum whether you'd like to or not.